PLEASE NOTE: This course is currently under review in advance of content updates. In the meantime no new enrolments will be accepted.
This RCGP Accredited course is designed for alcohol practitioners including those interested in achieving the level of "Practitioner with Special Interest".
The content of the course focusses on the management of alcohol use disorders including:
- How to design a primary care based alcohol service.
- Understanding local commissioning structures and processes.
- How to design robust care pathways.
- How to engage with local commissioners to influence service design.
- Comprehensive assessment.
- Patient log.
- Management of complex physical and mental health issues.
- Management of special groups including pregnant women, people with dual diagnoses, older people and people who use drugs and alcohol.
- The central role of psychosocial interventions.
- Prescribing, including community detoxification for people with complex problems.
- Relapse prevention and harm reduction.
The course comprises both theory and practice. Throughout the course participants will work towards completing a framework of skills and knowledge that will include online e-learning modules and workbook; attendance at face-to-face training; undertaking a field visit; and assignments and reflective learning from clinical practice.
Each participant will be guided through the process by a tutor. The total study time will be 10 days and the course will require completion in a minimum of 6 months and a maximum of 12 months. A CPD certificate will be awarded on completion of the course.
The target audience for this course includes GPs, nurses and pharmacists and other primary care practitioners.
Participants will be expected to have completed the RCGP Certificate in the Management of Alcohol in Primary Care Level 1 and must work with some people with alcohol use disorders.
Please see the main SMMGP web site for more information about this course.
!! Registration for this course is now open !!
New participants awaiting access to the course please note that it may take a few days for the initial enrolment process to complete.